Skip to main content

Full text of "Mathura A District Memoir"

See other formats


PARGANA MATHUB^.                                                 381
at Es. 6*447, which sum has subsequently been raised to Es. 10,000.    In 1852,
the old Gaurua zamindars' estate was transferred at auction to Seth Gobind
Das, who has made it part of the endowment of his temple at Brindd-ban.    In
the mutiny the rebels inarched upon the place with the intention of plundering
the treasury, but were stoutly opposed by the zamindars and resident officials,
and driven back after a few shots had been fired.    Lala Earn Bakhsh, the here-
ditary patwari, who also acted as the  Seth's agent, was conspicuous for his
loyalty, and subsequently received from the Government a grant of Es.  1,000
and the quarter jama of the village of Kothra, which he still enjoys.    The
Tahsildar, Munshi Bhajan Lai, also had a grant of Es.  1,200, and smaller
donations were conferred upon several other inhabitants of the town, chiefly
Brahmans.    It is much to be regretted that a misunderstanding with regard
to the management of the estate has arisen within the last few years between
the Seth and his agent, the Lala, which threatens to sever entirely the lat-
ter's connection with the place.    Aring is generally counted as one of the
24 Upabans, and has a sacred  pond  called Kilol-kund?  but no  vestige  of
any  grove.   Various mythological etymologies for the name are assigned by
the local pandits; but, as usual, they are very unsound.    Probably the word is
a corruption of Arishta-grama; Arishta being the original Sanskrit form of ritJia,
the modem Hindi name of the Sapindus detergens, or soap-berry tree.    The
Gosains would rather connect it with Arishta, the demon whom Krishna slew.
There is a school of the tahsili class (which hitherto has been liberally supported
by  Laid Earn BakBsh),  a  post-office, a police-station in charge of a Sub-
Inspector, and a customs bnngalow, recently moved here from Satoha.    Three
Small temples are dedicated respectively to Baladeva, Bihari Ji, and Pipalesvar
Mahadeva; and the ruins of a fort constructed last century preserve the name
of Phunda Earn, a Jut, who held a large tract of territory here as a jagir under
Eaja Suraj Mall of Bharat-pur.    The Agra Canal passes close t^ the town, and
is bridged at the point where it crosses the main road.    The market day is
Sunday.    The  avenue of trees extending from Mathura through  Aring to
Gobardhan was mainly planted by Seth Sukhanand.
AURANGABAD—population 2,219—was originally a walled town. It is four
miles from the city of Mathura on the Agra road, and derives its name from the
Emperor Aurangzeb, who is said to have made a grant of it to one Bhlm
Bhoj, a Tomar Thakur, with whose descendants It continued for many years.
For some time previously to 1861 it was however held rent-free by a Fakir,
commonly called Bottle Shah, from his bibulous propensities, a grantee of Daulat
B&o SindMa. On bis death it was assessed at Bs. 691^ which was subsequently
96